FiBL is one of the world’s leading organic farming research and technology transfer centres dedicated to sustainable agriculture with more than 200 staff members worldwide. FiBL’s research team works together with farmers and farmers’ organisations to develop innovative and cost-effective solutions to boost agricultural productivity while never losing sight of environmental, health and socio-economic impacts. FiBL has been coordinator and/or consortia partner in many projects. FiBL providing scientific expertise and practical advice on all issues of concern to the organic farming and food sector, especially at the interface between research and agricultural practice. One key activity is the communication and dissemination of innovations, practical-oriented outcomes as well as scientific outcomes. Examples are:
- BioTopp: The new professional magazine for organic agriculture for farmers in Germany. First edition more than 20.000 paper copies sent to all organic farmers within Germany.
- Oekolandbau.de: coordination and scientific leadership of the central German internet portal on organic farming as a key measure of the Federal Scheme for Organic Farming.
- Nationwide Organic Field Days with more than 11.000 visitors: Platform of innovation, knowledge transfer and communication with farmers and representatives from politics and businesses in Germany. Organised and conducted by FiBL in a two-year cycle.
- Organic Academy: Organisation of education and training for junior employee, advisory and inspection personnel as well as practitioners of organic food industry.
Connecting members of organic farming and food sector to build up regional, national and transnational networks is another key activity. Relevant examples are:
- Pea & bean network: through the Model Pea & Bean Demonstration Network, FiBL Germany is coordinating the project and transferring knowledge to expand cultivation of these crops.
- Demonstration Farms for Organic Farming: Participation in the nationwide network of 242 organic demonstration farms with knowledge transfer and administrative tasks.
Forschungsinstitut für biologischen
Landbau Deutschland e.V (FiBL)
Kasseler Strasse 1a
60486, Frankfurt am Main